Thursday, September 2, 2010

About the Trip

In case anyone doesn't know what my trip is all about, here is an explanation:

I have been to Nicaragua twice on mission trips with Rolling Hills Community Church, and after returning from the most recent trip this past summer, I was determined to get back.  After investigating a few options at Oregon State with the help of my advisor, Dr. Tom Chastain, I found the International Degree Program (INTL), which turned out to be a perfect fit for everything I wanted.

With the INTL program I will receive a second degree, write a thesis, study Spanish through the 400 level, and spend three months abroad, which is why I will be in Nicaragua.  I am also going to be receiving a few research credits on my trip, because my thesis topic is related to the farming techniques and socioeconomics of the indigenous Miskito tribe, which is located on the east coast of Nicaragua. 

I will be taking three online classes; Spanish, technical writing, and cultural diversity study abroad.  These classes will help me to remain a full time student so I do not lose my scholarships.  On the way down I will be stopping at CIMMYT, which is a research station that does work on farming in rural areas with limited resources.  I hope to use this information to help the development of agriculture in the area of Nicaragua that I will be living for a few months.

I will be staying at a compound in Puerto Cabezas that contains the house of Pastor Earl Bowie, the man in charge of the compound, an orphanage, a church, a school, and a medical clinic.  Pastor Earl is an amazing man with great vision; he has been a blessing to the Puerto Cabezas community, and I am happy to be able to help him with whatever projects he may have me working on.

Please be praying for me, as I gather up the final items I will be needing before I take of on this excellent adventure.

Thank you for your support,

Austin

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic Austin. If possible post pictures as we all are clueless to the real third world. I can hardly wait to get the first blog. su tio

    ReplyDelete